Skip to main content

Food Trends: High Fructose Corn Syrup – is it really that bad?

I hear many interesting comments from the many people I come in contact with on a daily basis about nutrition.  A hot topic right now continues to be high fructose corn syrup.  Some recent statements I’ve heard are “I try not to buy that because of the high fructose corn syrup” or “I won’t feed that to my children because I don’t want them to have too much high fructose corn syrup.”

Statements like those above are a catch twenty-two for me.  On one hand I’m ecstatic that the general population cares about what we are feeding ourselves and our family, but on the other hand it solidifies my concern that nutrition education is still very much behind par. 

As a registered dietitian, I have never thought twice about high fructose corn syrup. It definitely became the designer fad, years ago and I am shocked at how its negative reputation is still going strong.  Statements have even been made linking high fructose corn syrup to obesity, but my latest search on actual research yields nothing significant that can extract high fructose corn syrup as a specific ingredient causing obesity.

So folks, to understand what high fructose corn syrup is it’s necessary to understand different components of bio and organic chemistry that I’m not going to get into. Simply said, high fructose corn syrup is a sweetener derived from corn.  When digested and broken down it is breaks down into two simple sugars, fructose and glucose.  Fructose is sugar derived from fruit sources and glucose is table sugar. Doesn’t sound so bad now does it?

Instead of honing in on high fructose corn syrup, my recommendation is to pay more attention to the sources of food you are eating or providing to your family.  In a society where everyone is strapped financially and ridden with deadlines, it is easy to become attracted to inexpensive and quick meals.  Because high fructose corn syrup is less expensive for mass production and yields a better product from an integrity standpoint, you see it more in your pre packaged foods, but like ALL sugars this yields 4 calories per gram which contributes to your total calorie intake in a day.

At the end of the day and as a registered dietitian, I’m here to tell you that it is not one single item that causes obesity.  It is overall calories in verses overall calories expended period end of sentence.   If you are looking to hone in on sweeteners in general, don’t just focus on the high fructose sweetener, focus on any additive sweetener.  Find a way to provide more fresh and frozen items into your diet instead of the canned or prepackaged foods. This will not only most likely decrease your overall calorie intake but it will also provide you with the best source of vitamins and minerals you require.  Also as a hint, the first ingredient listed on any product provides the largest proportion to that item so instead of buying foods with sweeteners listed first, look for them to be listed last or not at all.  Good luck and be healthy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always

Why this Dietitian Cares more about your PREbiotics than your PRObiotic Pill

Clients ask me all the time what I think of their brand of probiotic or which one they should start taking.  Studies have shown that probiotic supplements definitely have their place in certain circumstances (that’s a whole other blog for another time), but my bigger concern is... what are you feeding the ones you have already? “Probiotics” is just a fancy word for helpful bacteria.  Even if you don’t take a pill, you have these little guys in your digestive track.  The problem right now is that current probiotic supplements can only include the bacteria that scientists have been able to 1) identify and 2) put in a pill without them dying right away.   However, we (probiotic and non-probiotic users alike) have so many different strains of bacteria (somewhere in the neighborhood of billions) who do so much good for us such as make vitamins and help battle bad bacteria.  BUT - just like us - they need to eat!  A recent study showed that a diet high in protein is not in their

To The Bones- A review from a dietitian

Friday July 14th, Netflix premiered the movie To The Bone.  Prior to the premier many had opinions of the movie. Some were fearful that it would glorify an Eating Disorder, some felt the movie would put too much focus on extremely thin patients with Eating Disorders neglecting those that are within normal weight but still extremely sick, and many had a lot of opinions about the lead actress who lost a significant amount of weight for the role disclosing she is in recovery for an Eating Disorder. My colleagues and I discussed the pretense of the movie, I communicated to families that the movie was coming out in case their daughters and sons watched the movie, and Friday I went home from work and viewed the movie. Although Hollywood has a way of sensationalizing everything there was a lot that the movie got right. The opening scene where Ellen counts the calories as soon as she sees the food is a good depiction of how someone with an Eating Disorder thinks. Food is not sensual it i