Skip to main content

Common Challengs: Saavy Snacking

If you haven’t ready my blog titled ‘The Vicious Cycle of eating too little’ now is the time to do so. If you have, let’s move on.   Remember how we discussed focusing on eating every three to four hours, well let’s talk about what types of snacks are best to initiate in between those long gaps.

Glucose, which is mostly derived from carbohydrates, is your body’s first source of energy.  Carbohydrates can give you quick bursts of energy and are absorbed and digested within 1 to 1.5 hours after consumption. Since most of us don’t eat every hour or so, it’s important to look at our snacking so we can figure out how to extend the satiety until our next meal.

There’s a lot of data out there that suggest adding a protein to carbohydrates when snacking. As a reminder protein rich foods are meat, eggs, milk, and cheese.  Peanut butter and foods such as quinoa are also good sources of protein. Because proteins are more complex than carbohydrates, adding a protein to a meal can delay digestion, therefore helping you feel fuller longer.  I agree protein is a great addition to any snack, even better when you insure your snack has some fiber and healthy fats with it. 

Some great ideas for snacks are the following:

Medium Apple, Peach, Pear and String Cheese
Medium Apple, Peach, Pear and 1 T Peanut Butter
8 Whole Wheat Crackers and 2 oz. Low fat Cheese
½ Whole Wheat Bagel and 1 T Cream Cheese
1 cup baby carrots and 2 T Hummus
6 oz Yogurt and 1/8 cup low fat granola
Fiber One Granola Bar and 4 oz Skim Milk
½ cup cottage cheese and ½ cup fruit

All of the above snacks are less than 200 calories.  When you add snacks in between your biggest meal gaps during the day you will help your metabolism run efficiently and avoid that sudden hunger pain that may cause you to overeat at your next meal. 

Remember, the same goes for children too.  Avoid just giving fruit for a snack and add some yogurt or peanut butter for dipping.  Your children will stay fuller longer which will reduce whining time when they are starving, a win for all.  What do you eat for a snack?  Do you notice a different when you add protein, fiber, and healthy fats? 
Try an apple with peanut butter for your next snack

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always

Why this Dietitian Cares more about your PREbiotics than your PRObiotic Pill

Clients ask me all the time what I think of their brand of probiotic or which one they should start taking.  Studies have shown that probiotic supplements definitely have their place in certain circumstances (that’s a whole other blog for another time), but my bigger concern is... what are you feeding the ones you have already? “Probiotics” is just a fancy word for helpful bacteria.  Even if you don’t take a pill, you have these little guys in your digestive track.  The problem right now is that current probiotic supplements can only include the bacteria that scientists have been able to 1) identify and 2) put in a pill without them dying right away.   However, we (probiotic and non-probiotic users alike) have so many different strains of bacteria (somewhere in the neighborhood of billions) who do so much good for us such as make vitamins and help battle bad bacteria.  BUT - just like us - they need to eat!  A recent study showed that a diet high in protein is not in their

To The Bones- A review from a dietitian

Friday July 14th, Netflix premiered the movie To The Bone.  Prior to the premier many had opinions of the movie. Some were fearful that it would glorify an Eating Disorder, some felt the movie would put too much focus on extremely thin patients with Eating Disorders neglecting those that are within normal weight but still extremely sick, and many had a lot of opinions about the lead actress who lost a significant amount of weight for the role disclosing she is in recovery for an Eating Disorder. My colleagues and I discussed the pretense of the movie, I communicated to families that the movie was coming out in case their daughters and sons watched the movie, and Friday I went home from work and viewed the movie. Although Hollywood has a way of sensationalizing everything there was a lot that the movie got right. The opening scene where Ellen counts the calories as soon as she sees the food is a good depiction of how someone with an Eating Disorder thinks. Food is not sensual it i