Skip to main content

Family Nutrition: Overweight toddlers and children: To restrict or not to restrict?

I was asked this specific question a lot in the last two weeks from clients, friends, and a physician group I work with.  We’ve all heard that our children are the first generation that will not outlive their parents.  Fifteen percent of children in the United States are considered overweight and another fifteen percent are at risk of being overweight.  There’s a lot of scary statistics out there and it's starting to cause some panic.
Here are my thoughts.  I feel strongly that it’s important to catch irregular eating, unhealthy habits, or weight gain in kids earlier than later.  When I say early I mean as early as two believe it or not. There’s a reason that pediatricians and dietitians recommend changing from whole milk to skim after the age of two, as brains no longer require the extra fat intake for development. 
If your child is in the toddler years or beyond and eats multiple servings of food, is ‘addicted’ to junk food, or there is concern of weight gain or excess weight for height,  it is time to initiate a change. Waiting can cause psychosocial issues in addition to putting your child at risk for heart disease and diabetes later in life.
To start, it’s important to take a true look at your child’s intake throughout the day. Does it seem excessive? If your child asks for more servings, is he truly hungry or is it habitual?  Are you certain your child knows what hunger or fullness feels like?  What do their meals look like? Do they eat fruits and vegetables or is his or his/her plate full of processed carbohydrates?
Once you take a good look at your child’s meal it’s time to initiate changes.  You can do this on your own or working with a dietitian.  An initial change I always recommend is to increase consumption of vegetables.  Non starchy vegetables are loaded with vitamins and minerals and are low calorie at about 25 calories for ½ cup cooked. If your child doesn’t like vegetables try a bunch until you find some he or she likes.  Make a rule that everyone at the dinner table must at least try everything on their plate.  If your child likes dipping sauces, go ahead and use that but monitor the portion size.  If you find that you’re consistently serving up quick meals that include processed foods, figure out a way to make a fresh spin off of some favorites.  There are many resources out there, to include websites and cook books. Training your child to eat can be a lot like the Ferber sleep method in my opinion.  Although it may be horrible while you are in the moment, it persistence pays off and it can be a beautiful thing.
Evidence Based Management of Child Obesity by the Department of Public Health at Oxford University includes six ideas to take into consideration with overweight or obese children.  I fully agree with all of them.
1)      Create a goal to maintain or gain appropriate growth weight slowly
2)      Teach healthy habits rather than restrict
3)      Sustain lifestyle activities
4)      Be aware that psychosocial problems have important consequences
5)      Behavioral treatments should be individually designed
6)      All treatments need to be accepted by all family member

If you are concerned about your child, start early.  The changes you initiate now will be important for the remainder of your child’s life.  Be a positive role model and help break this growing epidemic.  Have you had any experience with changing your child’s habits, diet, or lifestyle activities?  Let’s hear them. 

Breaking the cycle of childhood obesity


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always

Why this Dietitian Cares more about your PREbiotics than your PRObiotic Pill

Clients ask me all the time what I think of their brand of probiotic or which one they should start taking.  Studies have shown that probiotic supplements definitely have their place in certain circumstances (that’s a whole other blog for another time), but my bigger concern is... what are you feeding the ones you have already? “Probiotics” is just a fancy word for helpful bacteria.  Even if you don’t take a pill, you have these little guys in your digestive track.  The problem right now is that current probiotic supplements can only include the bacteria that scientists have been able to 1) identify and 2) put in a pill without them dying right away.   However, we (probiotic and non-probiotic users alike) have so many different strains of bacteria (somewhere in the neighborhood of billions) who do so much good for us such as make vitamins and help battle bad bacteria.  BUT - just like us - they need to eat!  A recent study showed that a diet high in protein is not in their

To The Bones- A review from a dietitian

Friday July 14th, Netflix premiered the movie To The Bone.  Prior to the premier many had opinions of the movie. Some were fearful that it would glorify an Eating Disorder, some felt the movie would put too much focus on extremely thin patients with Eating Disorders neglecting those that are within normal weight but still extremely sick, and many had a lot of opinions about the lead actress who lost a significant amount of weight for the role disclosing she is in recovery for an Eating Disorder. My colleagues and I discussed the pretense of the movie, I communicated to families that the movie was coming out in case their daughters and sons watched the movie, and Friday I went home from work and viewed the movie. Although Hollywood has a way of sensationalizing everything there was a lot that the movie got right. The opening scene where Ellen counts the calories as soon as she sees the food is a good depiction of how someone with an Eating Disorder thinks. Food is not sensual it i