Skip to main content

Food Trends: About the Avocado

I’m often surprised when clients tell me that they are afraid ofAvocado’s.  How in the world could a fruit so versatile have ever gotten such a “bad” reputation?  Not only does an avocado provide natural unsaturated fats but it also acts as a nutrition booster.  You see the fat provided in the avocado helps with absorption of fat soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K, all which are very important for your immune integrity, bone strength, eyesight, and blood clotting factors.

Let’s go back to that bad reputation.  My client’s have admitted it’s really the fat that makes them nervous.  Every other fruit has little to no fat. So let’s clear some things up. It’s important to note that the fat in the avocado is mostly monounsaturated.  Instead of getting nervous about that I think it’s a bonus!  Remember monounsaturated fat in food has been proven to lower our “lousy” or LDL cholesterol and potentially increase your “healthy” or HDL cholesterol.  Both of these factors prove to decrease cardiovascular risk.

In addition to the nutrition benefits, the fat in the avocado can help with satiety as well as add additional texture to meals.  You can even use an avocado to substitute a saturated fat when using it as a spread or more. I love this resource from the Loveonetoday.com site that provides tips on how toeat Haas Avocados.

The lesson here is that the avocado is a great example of a food that needs to be analyzed in its entirety. Yes it contains monunsaturated fat but also protein, fiber, and over 20 vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients.  It also acts as one of your 5-a-day servings of fruit.   Forget about the fat and look at the whole picture. Could this be the perfect fruit? Challenge yourself and incorporate avocados into your day.  It's worth it. Need some recipes

Disclosure and Disclaimer:
Although I did receive financial compensation for writing this post, all views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely and entirely my own and based on my own unique experiences.  For nutrition information on avocados, please be sure to visit LoveOneToday.com website.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Make it Happen

Parents, I see you. I see you putting everyone else's needs in front of yours. I see your dark circles under your eyes, your gray hair, that your wasting away, or that you've collectively gained weight over the years. It's time to put yourselves first because if you don't take care of yourself you won't be around to keep taking care of everyone else. So often friends, acquaintances, or clients say to me, "I don't know how you find the time to exercise." "How can you take the time away from everything else and get away to exercise?" "I wish I could actually focus on myself and exercise." Exercise to me is self care. It produces endorphins faster than any other activity I engage in. It  reduces my stress, keeps me healthy, increases flexibility, and gives me more energy to be on point with my busy kids and my demanding job. My exercise isn't extravagant and it doesn't take too much time. Here's my secret. I always

Why this Dietitian Cares more about your PREbiotics than your PRObiotic Pill

Clients ask me all the time what I think of their brand of probiotic or which one they should start taking.  Studies have shown that probiotic supplements definitely have their place in certain circumstances (that’s a whole other blog for another time), but my bigger concern is... what are you feeding the ones you have already? “Probiotics” is just a fancy word for helpful bacteria.  Even if you don’t take a pill, you have these little guys in your digestive track.  The problem right now is that current probiotic supplements can only include the bacteria that scientists have been able to 1) identify and 2) put in a pill without them dying right away.   However, we (probiotic and non-probiotic users alike) have so many different strains of bacteria (somewhere in the neighborhood of billions) who do so much good for us such as make vitamins and help battle bad bacteria.  BUT - just like us - they need to eat!  A recent study showed that a diet high in protein is not in their

To The Bones- A review from a dietitian

Friday July 14th, Netflix premiered the movie To The Bone.  Prior to the premier many had opinions of the movie. Some were fearful that it would glorify an Eating Disorder, some felt the movie would put too much focus on extremely thin patients with Eating Disorders neglecting those that are within normal weight but still extremely sick, and many had a lot of opinions about the lead actress who lost a significant amount of weight for the role disclosing she is in recovery for an Eating Disorder. My colleagues and I discussed the pretense of the movie, I communicated to families that the movie was coming out in case their daughters and sons watched the movie, and Friday I went home from work and viewed the movie. Although Hollywood has a way of sensationalizing everything there was a lot that the movie got right. The opening scene where Ellen counts the calories as soon as she sees the food is a good depiction of how someone with an Eating Disorder thinks. Food is not sensual it i